Situations where first aid is required can be very different, but the first aid should follow four steps, regardless of the situation.
1. Taking safety measures.
2. Evaluation of the victim.
3. Request aid.
4. Ensure first aid.
• Evaluate the situation and check for potential hazards (traffic, fire, electricity)
• Do not approach the crash site until you are sure that life will not be threatened.
• Try to remove the dangers posed to the victim and others.
• If you are not sure, contact the emergency services.
• Wait at safe distance until trained help arrives.
• Always follow the Highway Code.
• Reduce your speed gradually and do not brake suddenly as you get closer to the accident site road.
• Stop the car in a safe place of refuge line, roadside or outside it.
• Put your reflective vest.
• Use warning signs to warn those approaching the accident scene.
• Do not try to cross the highway.
• Be aware of electrical cables and make sure that nobody is approaching and that these cables are not met.
• Try to prevent a possible fire, electrical contact stopping the vehicles involved in the accident and not letting anyone smoke in the vicinity.
• Keep in mind that airbags were not activated can swell suddenly.
• Try to immobilize vehicles pulling disc brakes.
As a general rule, you should not move the victim from the crash site, unless the danger is imminent and can not be controlled if you can not take safety measures and unless you are exposed to any risk. If necessary, move the person to the nearest safe place.
If conscious, explain what you do and asked her to cooperate. If possible, immobilize the victim’s neck during movement. Turn as least as possible the neck, head and body of the victim.
Try to apply the proper techniques, even if the movement of the victim is the top priority.
Protect the victim from cold or heat, but move it only if he sat too long in the cold and if this could have serious consequences. Cover the victim with a coat or blanket to protect it from the cold. You can also use an insulating blanket.
• Place the victim’s arms along the trunk.
• Kneel behind the victim’s head. Pass one hand under the victim’s neck and the other one placed between the shoulder blades. Carefully lift the head and shoulders and come close.
• Raise the victim’s back in sitting position. Support her shoulders.
• Pass both hands under the victim’s armpits and grab him a forearm. Keep it tight forearm with one hand and wrist with the other.
• Raise yourself without to let go the victim’s arm . The victim is now between your legs. Push hand its victim’s chest.
• Raise your back straight and pull the victim up. In reverse, dragging the victim. Be careful of rear obstacles.